Northern Orange-eyed Treefrog
Ranoidea xanthomera


The Northern Orange-eyed Treefrog (Ranoidea xanthomera) is a beautiful medium sized treefrog from the tropical rainforest areas of Northeastern Queensland.  It was one of the species I had most wanted to see in this area and I was delighted to finally get a chance to photograph the one above on my last night in the area.  I was disappointed that I didn't have the chance to record them, until I listed to my recordings from a few days prior and realized one of my "mystery frogs" was this species!

Once again, repeating a pattern I observed several times in Australia, the prettier the treefrog, the more raucous its call seemed to be!  The call of the Northern Orange-eyed Treefrog is a loud nasal "waaaah, waaaah, waaaahh" sometimes interspersed with a dry growl/trill.  

In this spectrogram, you see the end of the following recording where the loud ascending "waaah" calls give way to a series of trills (visible at the very end of this spectrogram only).


In this longer recording you will hear a series of the "waaaah" calls that lead into the dry "growl/trill" sound at the end.  This was recorded from beside the road in the rainforest in the mountains just west of Mossman, Queensland.  At the time, I wasn't aware which species of frog these were.

Ranoidea xanthomera calls

© Chris Harrison 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment