Rusty Treefrog
Boana boans

The Rusty Treefrog (Boana boans) is a widespread tropical treefrog from wet forests throughout the Amazonian basin.  I heard these frogs calling when we were in the Amazonian side of Ecuador, but I lost those recordings when my recorder was lost.  So I was very happy to get another chance to record them when we were in Trinidad in December 2018.

I heard many dozens of these Rusty Treefrogs calling from along the roads as we drove back to the Asa Wright Nature Center at night.  Unfortunately, they were calling quite a ways from the nature center and I couldn't get back down there to record them.  I finally did manage to record a single individual calling from beneath this creek bank one night near the nature center.  I was unable to find the frog for a photo though.😢  It was on the opposite bank somewhere....?



I think this frog's call as a barking "wark".  To my ear it is very reminiscent of North America's Barking Frog (Craugastor augusti).


So I was glad to get this species on my recording lifelist but, once again, I would like to be able to say I had actually seen one!  *sigh*
___________________
© Chris Harrison 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment