Strecker's Chorus Frog
Pseudacris streckeri


Strecker's Chorus Frog (Pseudacris streckeri) is a seemingly uncommon frog from the South Central US.  Although I have lived in their range for much of the last 25 years, I had never seen or heard one until spring of 2012.  Finally I saw a report on a bird listserver of a chorus of them being heard after some heavy rains in Central Texas.   I went out as soon thereafter as I could and managed to record a few.  I have still never seen one!

Here is one of those recordings from that night.  This is a solitary male calling from a roadside pond in Caldwell County, Texas.

The call is a series of bell like "tinks" repeatedly rapidly in succession.  It sounds similar to someone striking a metal pipe with a hammer.



In this spectrogram you can see how each call is a upward short slurring "tink" with a series of harmonic overtones.





Choruses of Strecker's Chorus Frogs have been described as sounding similar to a squeaky, old, metal windmill turning rapidly.

Hopefully I will be able to add some more recordings and a photo (!!) next spring.  (I cheated here by adding a photo that I took 5 years later just to have a photo on the blog entry).

© Chris Harrison 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment