Fleischmann's Glass Frog
Hyalinobatrachium fleischmanni

Fleischmann's Glass Frog (Hyalinobatrachium fleischmanni) is a small Centrolenid frog that is found from the lowlands of southern Mexico down into northern South America.  It is a cute little pale green frog with yellow polka-dots, a cute face and big golden eyes.

You can check out some great photos in this google images search.

Unfortunately, I've never seen one.  In fact, I've never seen any Centrolenid frog, which is a big disappointment to me.  This family of frogs are called "Glass Frogs" due to their almost transparent skin.  From the underside, you can often see their organs and bones.  When I first read about them, I knew I wanted to see one of these see-through frogs.  In spite of several trips into the range of quite a few species of Centrolenid frog, I've never managed to see one.

While I was recording "tink" frogs (Diasporus diadema) in central Costa Rica, I heard another higher pitched frog calling. I managed to get a recording of the call and when I got home, started doing research into its identity.  I was actually disappointed when I found it that it was Hyalinobatrachium because that meant I was close to one of my target frogs but never got to see it. 😭

Anyway, here is the high pitched whistled call I managed to capture -


Fleischmann's Glass Frog call

© Chris Harrison 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment