Fooled Again - Gray Fox vs. Barking Frog
Urocyon cinereoargenteus vs. Craugastor augusti

Fooled again!

I was recording frogs one night in northeastern Gillespie County in some rocky canyons NE of Fredericksburg.  I came across a caucophony of sounds coming from along the road.  There were Gulf Coast Toads, Blanchard's Cricket Frogs, Rio Grande Leopard Frogs and Cope's Gray Treefrogs.  Then as I recorded this normal frog chorus, a pair of Barred Owls started "dueting" and that disturbed a sleeping Wild Turkey, who objected vociferously.



But in the middle of a long recording (starting about 23 seconds in), I heard a "barking" behind me.  Barking Frog!   This was a bit outside of their known range, but the habitat was good, the weather conditions were optimal and it was the right time of year.




I spun around and pointed my microphone in the direction of the barking and capture a view clean barks.  While I was recording and listening through headphones, I noticed that the call was a bit higher pitched compared to the barkers I had recorded before, but I figured that was something to do with the fact I hadn't heard enough Barking Frogs?


I was delighted as I hadn't heard that species in this area before.  When I got home, I was uploading my recording to the Citizen Science database Inaturalist and I started to listen to it again.   

The more I listened, the more I started to doubt.   If it wasn't a Barking Frog, what would make that sound?   Deer "bark" but it doesn't sound like that.  Squirrels make some weird sounds, but this wasn't right (and it was two hours after sunset!).    What else would be in that area that might bark?   Coyote?   Not right.   Oh wait, I had seen half a dozen or more Gray Foxes (Urocyon cinereoargenteus) running across the street that night.  

What do they sound like?   Turns out they sound like higher pitched, hoarse Barking Frogs! 😳

Here's the real deal - a Barking Frog from Bandera County -



and the imposter again - Gillespie County Gray Fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus) -




Oh well, I guess this is supposed to be learning experience!

___________________
© Chris Harrison 2018

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure that I have ever heard a Gray Fox bark before, but it certainly does resemble the call of Craugaster. On the other hand, I am absolutely sure that I have been fooled by actual dogs!

    ReplyDelete