Southern Chorus Frog
Pseudacris nigrita

The Southern Chorus Frog (Pseudacris nigrita) is a small striped Chorus Frog of the Southeastern United States.  It ranges from southeastern Virginia down through Florida and west along the gulf coast approximately to the Mississippi River.




I don't have photo of this species because I've never seen one.  This is particularly strange since I used to hear them calling all the time in South Carolina including in my backyard!  It was just one of those species that was "so common" I never bothered to look. 😳

Most of the "striped" chorus frogs are spring breeders so when I traveled to Florida in May of 2018, I really didn't have this species on my list of possible targets for recording.  But as we drove east of Fort Myers one rainy night I was quite surprised to hear their little "fingernail across the comb" call coming from some flooded grassy areas.   I also heard them again a few days later in the Everglades National Park.   I guess this is why you should do a little research/reading before heading out on a herping trip?

Like the other "striped" Chorus Frog species (Cajun Chorus Frog, Boreal Chorus Frog, Western Chorus Frog, etc.) the call of this species is a slow fingernail across a comb trilling.   The trill ascends slightly in pitch.



So I guess the lessons I've learned from Pseudacris nigrita are
1.  take advantage of photo opportunities when you have them
     and
2. if you don't do the research, expect the unexpected!

___________________
© Chris Harrison 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment