Trinidad Poison Frog
Mannophryne trinitatis

The Trinidad Poison Frog (Mannophryne trinitatis) is a small striped frog that is found only in Trinidad.  It is common along the edges of rocky forested streams.   It is  a relatively dark, drab frog with longitudinal stripes on the body.   It is active by day and can be seen sitting along the edge of streams on the rocks.   Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to get a better photo because I was sure I would get another chance.....I didn't.



This species is active in the day and calls by the light of day as well.  Interestingly, when this frog is calling the males darken up considerably, becoming almost black.   Here is a male calling from under the edge of a large boulder.  Again, I "planned" on coming back to this spot for a better photo after the tour I was on finished. 😳



In spite of my photographic failures, I did manage to make a recording of this species calling along a forest stream.  The call is a musical two-part cricket like "ti-dink". 



As you would expect, it sounds very similar to its close relative the Tobago Poison Frog (Mannophryne olmanae).

__________________
© Chris Harrison 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment