2021 - Texas "Big Frog Year" Attempt

 Since I wasn't going to be traveling internationally thanks to SARS-CoV2, I decided the best goal for this year was to try and do a "big frog year".   Actually, I have a wager with a friend to see who can get the most bird, butterfly, reptile and amphibian species posted in iNaturalist this year.

So I thought I would make a post here and update it periodically to see how I progress.   I am getting perilously close to getting all the species, but there a few missing I probably won't get.   Some I only have photos of, but most I have recordings of as well.

August 18  - My original goal at the beginning of the year was to get 30 out of the 42 species of Anuran that occur in Texas.   On August 18th, I got my 35th species, the Mexican Spadefoot.  It did require a (long) drive out to west of Eldorado last night.   They are not found much closer to where I live and it rained heavily out there in the last few days.   This seemed like maybe my last chance for the year?

There are 7 species I am still missing.  There are a couple of species I'm not sure I can get (Houston Toad, Pickerel Frog), a couple more species I probably I will get (Fowler's Toad, Burrowing Frog) and then a three I might get if I get lucky (Pig Frog, Greenhouse Frog, Mexican White-lipped Frog).   There is also a new species in Texas, unfortunately, that I don't really have a good lead on yet, the invasive Cuban Treefrog.

Scientific Name  Common Name  First 2021 record
Pseudacris clarkii  Spotted Chorus Frog  23-Jan  Gonzales Co.
Acris blanchardi  Blanchard Cricket Frg. 27-Feb  Gonzales Co.
Hyla cinerea  Green Treefrog  27-Feb  Gonzales Co.
Litho. sphenocephalus  Southern Leopard Frg.
27-Feb  Gonzales Co.
Lithobates catesbeianus  American Bullfrog  5-Mar  Aransas Co.
Pseudacris crucifer  Spring Peeper  7-Mar  Shelby Co.
Pseudacris fouquettei  Cajun Chorus Frog  7-Mar  Shelby Co.
Craugastor augusti  Barking Frog  27-Mar  Edwards Co.
Eleuthero. marnockii  Cliff Chirping Frog  30-Mar  Bandera Co.
Lithobates berlandieri  Rio Grande Leopard
30-Mar  Bandera Co.
Gastrophryne olivacea  W. Narrowmouth Toad 2-Apr  Jackson Co.
Anaxyrus americanus  American Toad  9-Apr  Angelina Co. (photo) 
Incilius nebulifer  Coastal Plains Toad  9-Apr   Angelina Co.
Eleuthero. campi  Rio Grande Chirping
9-Apr  Angelina
Hyla chrysoscelis  Cope's Gray Treefrog  9-Apr   Angelina Co.
Hyla versicolor  Gray Treefrog  9-Apr  Angelina Co.
Lithobates clamitans  Green Frog  10-Apr  Angelina Co.
Anaxyrus woodhousii  Woodhouse's Toad  23-Apr  Denton Co. (photo)
Hyla squirella  Squirrel Treefrog  1-May  Victoria Co.
Pseudacris streckeri  Strecker's Chorus Frg.
1-May  Victoria Co.
Gastro. carolinensis  E.Narrowmouth Toad  1-May  Calhoun Co.
Lithobates areolatus  Crawfish Frog  1-May  Victoria Co.
Scaphiopus hurterii  Hurter's Spadefoot  1-May  DeWitt Co.
Anaxyrus punctatus  Red-spotted Toad  2-May  Edwards Co.
Anaxyrus speciosus  Texas Toad  2-May  Kinney Co.
Scaphiopus couchii  Couch's Spadefoot  2-May  Kinney Co.
Anaxyrus debilis  Green Toad  12-May  McMullen Co.
Rhinella horribilis Giant Toad  16-May  Cameron Co.
Smilisca baudinii  Mexican Treefrog  16-May  Cameron Co.
Hypopachus variolosus  Sheep Frog  16-May  Cameron Co.
Anaxyrus cognatus  Great Plains Toad  4-Jun  Andrews Co.
Lithobates blairi  Plains Leopard Frog  4-Jun  Andrews Co. (photo)
Hyla arenicolor  Canyon Treefrog  2-Aug  Jeff Davis Co.
Spea bombifrons  Plains Spadefoot  9-Aug  Dallam Co. (photo)
Spea multiplicata  N. Mexico Spadefoot  17-Aug  Schleicher Co.
Anaxyrus fowleri  Fowler's Toad 
hopeful
Anaxyrus houstonensis  Houston Toad 
not likely
E. planirostris  Greenhouse Frog 
maybe
Leptodactylus fragilis  White-lipped Frog 
hopeful
Lithobates grylio  Pig Frog 
missing
Lithobates palustris  Pickerel Frog 
not likely
Rhinophrynus dorsalis  Burrowing Frog 
hopeful



© Chris Harrison 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment