Plantation Glass Frog
Hyalinobatrachium colymbiphyllum

The Plantation Glass Frog (Hyalinobatrachium colymbiphyllum) is a small green translucent frog from the family Centrolenidae.  They occur in Costa Rica south to Panama and Colombia north of the Andes.

As usual, at least for Centrolenid frogs, I don't have a photo of this species since I've never seen one.   I have only heard and recorded them.   So I am relying on the generosity of those who upload photos to iNaturalist with the Creative Commons license which allows non-commercial use with attribution.

This wonderful photo was taken by Christian Marty (inat username christian marty) from this iNat record from Panama.

I recorded these frogs "accidentally" while making a general ambience recording in the forest near Piedras Blancas National Park, Costa Rica one evening.   I was recording a different species as my target, but this one just kept calling in the background.  Their metallic whistled trill reminds me a bit of one of the unrelated Australian Rainfrog species.

___________________
© Chris Harrison 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment